Friday, November 8, 2013

I hate saying NO.

Especially when it comes to close friends, family and new opportunities. What's the big deal you might ask?

Well, for most of the time I feel like a juggler - running from one thing to another with absolutely no time to myself. I am always ticking off a mental list and figuring where I need to be next - or what I need to do next!

As I spoke to close friends, family and wise one's, I realised this was a problem a lot of people faced.

So in an effort to help myself, I created a little checklist of sorts -if something did not full fill all criterion, it was getting a big fat NO,  despite how hard it was to say those words!

1) Do I have the time to do this? To give it my 100%? Or am I just going to give it half-arsed attention and finish it?

2) Is it in alignment with my long term goals?

3) Is it helping me/people/community in ways better than what I am doing now?

4) Will I be adequately compensated for the attention and time I am taking away from my current project? (NOTE: Compensation does not need to mean money alone, it can mean skills, fun and learning too)

No does not mean you hate someone and want to create conflict - sadly though that's what most of us think.  Sometimes all it takes is an explanation as to why we said no, and a friendly tone of voice to make the other person understand.

What are your thoughts??

7 comments:

Nagaraj said...

somethings shall be taken without expectations... will be dame thrill!

Ezhilnilavan Murugesan said...

In the end, it’s about priority. About deciding what really matters and “putting first things first”!

rama said...

Gn

tepa said...

True. But people always take it personal when you say no


Mariem said...

Right il like everyword u said
I agree

Rohbot said...

Thanks Mariem :) Really appreciate you taking the time off to respond!

Rohbot said...

True Tepa, but if we always worry about what other think and feel, we neglect ourselves in the process