Thursday, November 14, 2013

Gratitude

The morning started of with much chaos. I was running late for work, and I was thoroughly annoyed with the fact that no one else understood the gravity of situation. My sister still waddled around at a snail's pace, my mother was only just easing into her morning pooja and the maid was outside playing with the kittens. And all this exactly when I needed some help. Argh - what was wrong with them!?
I shoved some breakfast down my throat and left in a hurry - after telling everyone exactly how irritated I was. 

As I rode to my office, which is luckily about 40 minute away - I had a chance to cool down and reflect on what a douche I had been - for no real reason at all. My poor family was only trying to help me, but in my morning rage, all I could see was everything they were doing wrong. 

It was then that I noticed a little girl and her mother outside a shack on the streets. She was dressed in rags and her mother was wearing a torn yellow sari stained with dirt and grease. I watched them laugh as the mother combed the child's hair with a comb that had all together 4 teeth on it - that was happiness.

And here I was being fed hot breakfast in the morning, have an amazing home to stay in, a family that would do anything no matter how badly I treated them, friends that helped me whenever I was down, a job that payed me well and kept me happy, a bike to call my own - and I was being ungrateful.

What a 360 degree change in perspective. I decided to be more grateful and count my blessings. 

And i would like to start with being grateful for you, yeah you - who is reading this, Thank you for stopping by - it really really means a lot :)

10 comments:

Ashini said...

Very nice! :D

Girija.n.joshi said...

This is sooo nice a reading ! "Count your blessings" yes !

Rohbot said...

Thank you both for taking the time out to comment :) It really means a lot xx

Nagaraj M said...

Good one... its a bliss to feel self... :)

Ezhilnilavan Murugesan said...

Nanri hai for writing.... :-)

Rohbot said...

So True!

tps said...

Lets count our blessings and not our worries

Shri ram said...

When you are thankful for what u have you are always rewarded with more.. nice dimensions in life.. and also nice awareness program at CDM Smith :) Cheers :)

Rohbot said...

Thanks Shri ram :) Glad you enjoyed it

Eric derecho said...

good readings.nice one.f from now on, i should try count my Bleesings and not my worries. Tnx.